Specialists will recognize the format of the TRRS 3.5mm minijack plug of this microphone
others will be happy to learn that it's also the format of the microphone jack of their smartphones, iPhone, iPad or other compatible tablets!
With the free Røde App, turn your smartphone into a professional digital recorder with this lavalier microphone.
Ideal for interviews, with its small size and its metal clip, it will be fixed very quickly on lapel or clothing of the person interviewed.
Supplied with a small storage bag, it will return just as quickly in a pocket after work!
Note that with a small adapter cable as Røde SC3, you can convert the TRRS to TRS format and take advantage of this microphone on your camera, camcorder, digital recorder or other compatible device!
We can read here or there
The smartLav+ is a broadcast-grade wearable microphone designed for use in a wide range of film, television and broadcast scenarios, or wherever broadcast quality audio is required in a discreet, portable format without the complication and expense of additional wireless equipment.
With the smartLav+ the user simply mounts the microphone on the talent, connects it to a smartphone or tablet headset jack and records via the RØDE Rec app for iOS, or any other audio app of their choice.
By employing a professional quality omni-directional condenser capsule the smartLav+ picks up sound equally from all around the microphone, allowing for versatility when mounting and ensuring a high degree of user-friendly operation.
A foam pop shield is supplied to minimise wind noise and vocal plosives (hard ‘b’, ‘t’ and ‘p’ sounds), as well as a durable mounting clip with in-built cable management. Its Kevlar® reinforced cable ensures that you never stretch or snap your microphone under normal usage conditions.
The smartLav+ is compatible with any audio app that accepts input from the headset connection, however it has been designed to pair perfectly with RØDE’s RØDE Rec app for Apple iOS devices. RØDE Rec turns the user’s iOS device into a fully-featured field recorder, with a wide range of equalisation presets to suit various recording situations, in addition to professional editing functions and the ability to publish to SoundCloud and Dropbox direct from the app.
- Broadcast quality, professional-grade Lavalier Mic with TRRS Jack
- High-quality omni-directional condenser capsule
- Discrete 4.5mm miniature microphone
- Compatible with iOS devices and select Android devices*
- Kevlar® reinforced cable
- Includes wind shield and durable mounting clip
- Twelve month warranty
- Acoustic Principle : Permanently Polarised Condenser
- Active Electronics : JFET
- Polar Pattern : Omni-Directional
- Frequency Range : 60Hz to 18kHz
- Output impedance : 3kΩ Typical
- Signal To Noise Ratio : 67dB
- Maximum SPL : 110dB SPL (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1KΩ load)
- Sensitivity : -35.0dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (17.80mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz
- Maximum Output : 189mV
- Dynamic Range : 83dB Typical
- Equivalent Noise : 27dB-A
- Power Requirements : Powered from iPhone TRRS socket (2.7V)
- Output Connection : 1/8" (3.5 mm) TRRS mini-jack Gold Plated
- Dimensions (H x W x D) : 46.5 x 0.18 x 0.18" (1180 x 4.5 x 4.5 mm), mic and cable
- Weight : 0.211oz (6g)
But what means the acronymes TRS and TRRS ?
TRS : Tip Ring Sleeve
TRRS : Tip Ring Ring Sleeve
It describe the different parts of the plug. Those parts will depend of the manufacturers, it is not always the same function or order. Otherwise it would be too easy, no ? :)
For the microphones, usually, TRS or TRRS describe the left and right channel, the microphone channel and the ground.
For the Røde SC3, here is the TRRS and TRS sockets configurations :